Search
Historic School Index
Huthwaite Education
Blackwell Road School
Common Road School
New Street Schools
Huthwaite Road Snrs
Barker St Secondary
Barker St John Davis
Woodland View
Class Years Gallery

A Hucknall Huthwaite History

Huthwaite Education

Earliest indication of any type of Huthwaite education dates from a November 1669 Will left by Ann Mason.   Her Langton maiden name will recognise one of Sutton's 16th century influential family connections, from who's personal donation of land here once called Fennybank Close, would allow appointed trustees to long fulfil her notable wish of extending education towards Huthwaite for teaching its poorest children in Bible reading.   Similarly motivated in 1724, Elizabeth Boot added Pothouse Close in Fulwood, to again provide a rented income upon which to furthermore assist funding the teaching of poorer Huthwaite children.

Private tutors, boarding schools and higher institutions existed elsewhere for wealthier pupils. Parish clergy were among the most academically qualified, and highly influential when seeing the benefit of broadening that privilege to willing poorer scholars. Their Sutton Vestry initially roomed the teaching of bible reading. Other charitable donors would no doubt have assisted towards funding this worthwhile cause, while next making use of an old Sutton tithe barn to accommodate a larger number of parishioner pupils.

Learning to read was long deemed sufficient tuition for poor working classes. Focus on the bible promoted national religious beliefs also instilling moral social guidance. They'd no real need to write beyond self pride marking a personalised signature, even after an 1819 schoolhouse had been established. That started fully utilising the aforementioned charitable funding from 1824, totalling by then around £8 annually. HBC04 Half had been apportioned for teaching Huthwaite youngsters chosen by a Hucknall overseer, without any record to indicate the numbers taught from this remoter secondary village by Church of England clergy. Nonetheless, working families alienated from the influential wealth of an earliest parish government had been turning towards a choice of alternative protestant churches.

The first built Hucknall-under-Huthwaite Wesleyan Chapel in 1815 also introduced Sunday School teaching.   Branching Methodist denominations later asserted their own Church schooling, before a larger 1890 Wesleyan Chapel prominently faced Sutton Road to extend greater following. Weekly bible studies could never substitute formal daily education, although they retained respectable community popularity well into latter half a 20th century to outlast most newer school houses.

Private Schools

Credit for the 1868 opening of a Hucknall Huthwaite National Schoolhouse is given the Sutton-in-Ashfield parish vicar. That also took first step towards asserting separate Huthwaite Parish status, upon which to find its early history covered by 1933 publication simply stating Before this the scholars had met in a clubroom of the Workpeople's Inn. ho0100 This single sentence offers only known reference, but may form basis for long repeated understandings, claimed proven far later by undated clearance of old desks stored above.

To clarify this notion, it must be firstly understood that the Workpeoples Inn wasn't actually recognised as a public house before an 1885 directory identified Robert Wright with a beerhouse. And if old desks had been long stored in that pubs upper rooms, they could just as equally have been salvaged from eventual closure of that first Huthwaite National School.   However, these discrepancies and a lack of recorded detailing still cannot deny that Mr Wright could well have first opened up his premises for privately tutoring a small schoolroom. Being a nominated people's warden from Vestry Meetings held in a newly opened National School may best support Robert utilising prior experience with scholars.

Recently discovered evidence can truly assert location for one private Hucknall Huthwaite school.   "The Orchards" address refers to a past large residence built by JT Boot. His father founded the Wesleyan chapel first teaching Sunday Schools here before two granddaughters take over Schoolmistress roles. Proof of this families 1882 schoolroom is held by Nottinghamshire Archives, with beautifully handwritten examination papers identifying a twelve year old pupil named Emma Shooter. Genealogy ties incidentally note Miss Shooter of Newton (1879-1969) extended her education here after leaving Tibshelf Colliery School.


17 Apr 19     by Gary Elliott       Updated 05 May 19