Ye Swanne or Mute Swans portray one of the very commonest chosen pub symbols, with no discernible reason why. Wild majestic birds are still protected since being reserved only for royal banquets, potentially suggesting very finest Inn food. Far likelier reason is from showing loyalty to some influential family crests or heraldic coat of arms, especially if adding usual predominantly white prefix colour after that shared years of recognition through Tudor queens. An alternative black swan could be thought rebellious.
The White Swan stood west off Main Street below several small cottages. All lastly addressed a Swan Yard until finally demanding slum clearances. An 1828 Hucknall Huthwaite directory initially established the sign among three public houses.
A Nottingham Journal does appear to provide earlier proof of licensed service according to these dated extracts:
1804 Apr 21: Auction, Swan, May 3, 4pm: Windmill & house at Hucknall Huthwaite. Enquiries: Mr Walkden ...
1806 May 10: Charles Ellis, bankrupt grocer of Hucknall-Huthwaite, is to surrender himself at the Swan, ...
Other ambiguously interesting references are confusing when finding far older Swan premises located in both Mansfield and Sutton. When 1806 entry is repeated under 1807 Stirup keep, that must realise manor court role assigned a 15th century stage coach hotel in Mansfield town. And original Sutton White Swan claims a locally historic place, as first built pub to accommodate parish public meetings. (Sign above Devonshire Square doorway repositions its 1934 rebuild.)
Lacking an identifiable keeper therefore cast doubt if earlier 1804 notice referred to the variously spelt Swann of Hucknall Huthwaite. But full column from 1812 Derby Mercury determines it then hosted another significant sale of nearby premises, while earlier introducing known Chambers surname. Connecting their family interests with a productive village windmill sale may well end up discovering the Huthwaite White Swan was oldest pub to emerge from the 18th century.
Named members of the initially identified family run business continue keeping their beer house until Chambers surname disappears from Huthwaite sometime after 1832 listed Jane given final charge. But the earlier 1828 directory naming Hannah as Swan victualler also identified Thomas Chambers as a Corn Miller. Owning the Huthwaite windmill after 1804 auction in this very pub is beyond coincidence, furthermore suggesting a far older line of victuallers before Nathapiel.
Less frequent gazetteers basically introduces Thomas Sims being next Swan victualler. Herbert Simpson takes over, and his dual trade as a Hosiery Agent shows period when this rural hamlet becomes ever more reliant upon operating that industrial machinery. Population growth finds working families desperately seeking employment, adding need for far more affordable housing.
Dating White Swan occupation by Robert Wilson might identify that private owner initiating and financing construction of Swan Yard cottages. Layout isn't found fully mapped out until 1900, so its only unverified speculation in thinking George Allen ended up selling out to a future Home Ales Brewery.
Visitors had described a long, thick walled building, joining dimly lit rooms just one deep all floored by bare cold slabs. Stone construction is consistent with older alehouses. Former farms built by wealthier self supporting land owners roomier suited this additional type of income serving popular public needs. Like most good pubs, it became target for big corporate brewery buyers and displays known tenancy's under the Nottingham based Home Brewery.
Dray cart deliveries apparently favoured rear Back Lane access. A steep pathway connecting Main Street invited regular foot custom through fronting grounds. Some residents past on their memories recalling times when they last saw competitive horse shoe tossing played here for very high stakes.
A Huthwaite District mapped 1917 best outlines all worker cottages forming a narrow street presenting Swan Yard. This helped accommodate largest influx of thirsty coal miners, not least of which included the Holland surname.
Genealogy uncovered influential tenancy by Hezekiah Holland between 1896 - 1927, and presents some rare scenes fronting this past Public House.
He's identified somewhat humbly stood in background doorways above, when Huthwaite United Football Club claimed their two successive seasons ending 1913 and 1914. Smartly suited outfits for the latter year may well be attributed to this landlords charitable support also recognising position of their cup winning Club President.
Huthwaite Villa Football Club next show off their full entourage in year 1933. Press coverage reveals their debut 1932 season in Division three resulted in uniquely winning three cups. Celebrations held at their White Swan headquarters were then hosted by a William Cook, with good chance son Billy is among named team players.
Following 1941 gazetteer naming William Oliver Lawrence, the White Swan is shown hosting 1945 VE day celebrations with a doorway sign just managing to identify licensee G Poyser.
George Hall Poyser was recalled and listed earlier as a Sutton Road fruiterer. He's understood continuing to sell fruits from his lorry, presumably after the brewery shut down this public house. Eventual 1956 closure allowed the license transferral necessary at time for opening a new pub in Worksop. Mr Eric Jones lastly occupied this premises until its demolition, and by noting his first child Royce was almost born there, he dated final clearance of Swan Yard circa 1960.
District councillors enforced need to clear all similar haphazardly built dwellings on neighbouring yards, which failed to meet latest health and sanitation guidelines. Their redevelopment spanning those areas held historic recognition naming Swanson Avenue.