Archived Extracts

the nottinghamshire FREE PRESS

a weeks news dated - January 25th 1935

Sequel to Collision with 'Bus

The circumstances attending the death of a Huthwaite motor cyclist, who collided with a Mansfield District Traction Company's bus, were inquired into at Mansfield on Friday.

The deceased motor-cyclist was Albert Smith (24), Woodland Cottage, Huthwaite, and he was travelling towards Bilsthorpe on the Southwell Road, Rainworth, on December 17th, when he collided with a 'bus going in the opposite direction, sustaining injuries from which he died on January 17th. The inquest was conducted by the District Coroner (Mr. H. Bradwell) sitting with a jury, and Mr. J.N. Vallance represented the Mansfield Omnibus Co., Mr. G.R.B. Hopkin, the relatives of the deceased, and Inspector Healey, the police.

Plenty of Room to Pass.

Witness was travelling at 20 miles per hour, and the deceased at 35 miles per hour, as near as he could judge.
  The Coroner: How do you know?
  Witness: It is all done by guesswork.
  It was stated the road was 19 feet four inches wide, and the deceased had plenty of room to pass the 'bus.
  The Coroner: What do you think really happened?
  Witness: He looked to me to be dazzled by the lights of the 'bus in front.
  Replying to further questions, witness said Smith was in the middle of the road, and when he passed the first 'bus, said he had two sidelights and two head-lights on. It was a hazy night, and there was rain. He saw the cyclist 100 yards away and was taking the crown of the road. Witness's lights were dipped. The cycle passed him at 35 miles per hour.
  The Coroner: Do you consider 35 miles per hour is too fast - Quite fast, considering the surface of the road.
  What pace do you think he ought to have been going? - Thirty miles per hour.
  The Coroner: If he could go 30 miles per hour, I don't see why he should not go 35 miles per hour.
  Witness said he did not know about the collision until his return journey. When approaching, the cyclist appeared 'to have a shake on,' as though he might have applied his back brake, and got into a skid. He did not seem to have perfect control, and by the way he came close to his bus witness thought he was going to hit the side of it.

Lacerated Knee.

Mr. A.E. Nicoll, surgical registrar at the Mansfield Hospital, said deceased was suffering from laceration of the right knee which was infected with septic material, and became very septic. This spread, and several operations were necessary. His condition became very grave, and a few days before his death hemorrhage from the bladder occurred, which, he considered, was due to septic arthritis of the knee, accelerated by hemorrhage of the bladder.
  The Coroner: It is rather unfortunate that there is not independent evidence, but it is one of those cases where there is not any.

A verdict in accordance with the medical evidence, and that the injuries were sustained accidentally, was returned.

Surprise visit by Duchess of Portland.

A meeting of the Social Services Council was held on Thursday evening when a donation of £5 was gratefully received, per Mrs. Gaston, as the profits of the New Year's Eve dance. The purchase of a heating apparatus for the Centre at £25 was confirmed. A membership of 102 was reported, and it was pointed out that the funds were becoming depleted. It was therefore decided to apply for a further grand from headquarters, and also to arrange social events with a view to raising money.
  On the following afternoon (Friday) the Duchess of Portland paid another surprise visit to the new Centre, and was conducted round by Mr. E.W. Bostock and Mr. J. Bingham. Her Grace is specially interested in the 'rest room' and expressed great satisfaction with the progress made. She asked for the 'rest room' to be finished as soon as possible, as she wished to come and formally open it.
  Her Grace is providing the hangings and tablecloths (she brought them on Friday) and is choosing the colour scheme, so work will be concentrated for her present on the 'rest room.' She spoke in high praise of the Centre as a whole, and said that both for situating and structurally it was the best she had seen. Her Grace also suggested that a verandah be placed on the side of the bowling green for onlookers.
  The visit was a brief one, but the Duchess made a comprehensive survey of the whole undertaking, including an examination of the bay window of her own design, which has now been fitted to her complete satisfaction.


There was an extra large attendance in the Common Road School on Monday evening of Mothers' Union members to hear an address by Mrs. Boulton on " Home Influence, and the duties of Mothers."   Mrs. Grierson presided, and the gathering heard with attention an address which contained much good advice and practical common-sense. The speaker counselled regular Church-going and also frequent attendance at the Holy Communion. If these practices were not observed great benefits would be missed. A cordial vote of thanks was moved by the Chairman, and seconded by Mrs. Simpson. Refreshments were served by Mesdames Evans and Swain, and Mrs. Shaw played the accompaniments to the hymns.


At a concert in the Drill Hall on Wednesday evening, a large audience thoroughly enjoyed an excellent entertainment. The promoters were the members of the Mothers' Union, under the direction of Mrs. L. Hill and Mrs. Simpson, and the programme was provided by the South Normanton St. Michael's Council of Youth Concert Party, who were in carnival costume. The artistes were: Misses G. and A. Beardsmore, M. Swanwick, and M. Dean (soloists); S. Dean (monologues); Messrs. C. Bullock and S. Lane (comedians); E. Roberts (baritone); E. Clifton and E. Hancock (tenors). A troupe of handbell ringers comprised Messrs. H. Fredgley, E. Roberts, E. Riley, H. Doughty, A. Gordon and T.W. Jephson. Selections on the piano accordion were rendered by Mr. W. Walker, and the pianist was Mrs. Swanwick. The stage manager was Mr. Swanwick and the wardrobe mistress Mrs. Lane. The Rev. W.L. Boulton was chairman and the Mothers' Union members were assisted by Messrs. R. Bailey, A. Evans, J. Wright, J. Shaw and A. Wilson. A vote of thanks was accorded the performers. The proceeds were on behalf of the Mothers'Union bazaar stall.

The funeral of Mr. Albert Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. Smith, of Woodlands Farm, Huthwaite, whose tragic death following a collision with an omnibus is reported in another column, took place on Sunday afternoon. Deceased, who was a surface worker at Bilsthorpe Colliery, was also an eminent breeder of poultry, having studied this successfully at Technical Colleges, and he owned an expensive and numerous stock of birds.
  The funeral took place amid many manifestations of sympathy and esteem at Teversal Church. The Rector (Rev. D.M. Maclaren) conducted the services in Church and at the graveside. The many mourners showed additional sympathy on their contribution of beautiful floral tributes, as follow :- Parents and Sister Con; Mr. and Mrs. J. Beresford, sister and brother-in-law; Annie, Tom and Boys (Birmingham); All at Birstall: Headmaster and Staff, Huthwaite Council School; Mr. and Mrs. Beardall and family; Beresfords and friend; Sid Brooks; Mr. and Mrs. J. Bellamy and family; (Bingham); Uncle Arthur and Aunt Elizabeth (Tibshelf); Yard Staff, Bilsthorpe Colliery; Boiler Staff, Bilsthorpe Colliery; Mr. and Mrs. Coleman and family (Bilsthorpe); Mr. and Mrs. Andrews and family (Newton); Aunt Amelia, Uncle George and Cousins (Tibshelf); and Messrs. T. and W. Wass.


Serg. Robert Ellis, of the Hong-Kong Police, is on leave at his home in Blackwell Road. On his homeward journey Sergt. Ellis spent a day at Penang with Chief-Inspector Leanard Bostock, whose parents live on Sutton Road. Sergt. Ellis left the boat at Marseilles and flew to Croydon.

Although Huthwaite Villa had lost two important matches in two weeks, there was no sign of depression at their dance held in the Drill Hall on Saturday. About 200 were present, and Tom Burton's Orchestra provided the music. The organiser was Mr. Chapman (assis-secretary) and the M.C.'s were Mr. H. Thrall and Miss Etherington. The refreshments department was in charge of the wives of the Club's Committee members, Mesdames Walters, Chapman, Buxton, Pearce, Buckley and Greatorex.

On Sunday afternoon a recital was given on the Parish Church organ by Mr. John Munks, Hucknall. The Rev. W.L. Boulton presided, and gave a brief address.....
  The accompaniments for the singing were played by Mr. E. Lowe, and the excellence of the music in general merited a larger attendance. The proceeds were for the Choir's bazaar stall.

Written 26 Jan 12 Revised 17 Feb 12 © by Gary Elliott