Archived Extracts

the nottinghamshire FREE PRESS

a weeks news dated - March 4th 1932


  Mr. J.M. Watson, of the Mining Department at Nottingham University College, gave an instructive address on Saturday to members of the National Colliery Deputies Association, his subject being "Some Aspects of Machine Mining." Mr. F.M. Brown, of the Mapperley Coal Co., presided over a large attendance.
  The lecturer said that manufacturers of coal face machinery were now fully awake to the fact that mechanisation was absolutely necessary for the mining of coal seams. With the introduction of coal face machinery, large sums were necessary to pay for the plant and to keep it in constant repair.
  But the work of machine mining did not end at the coal face, or even when the coal was placed in the tub ; efficiency in all operations must be maintained until the coal was dumped into the wagons beyond the screening plant, and detailed costings must be made of every item in every department. There must also be concentration of labour, specialisation of work, and a complete cycle of operations must be carried out within a specified time of 24 or 48 hours, the modern tendency being for 24.

Maximum Output.

  It was the object of each deputy to produce a maximum output with a minimum cost, and always at a maximum of safety, but these ideals could only be attainted by strict adherence to rules, careful consideration of details, and working to a carefully prepared plan.
  Mr. Watson elaborated his argument, emphasised that there must be no lack of empty tubs or delay in handling, and no extra shotholes, during a mining shift. The transport arrangements must be at the proper angle for easy coal getting. In actual coal cutting, the face should be kept absolutely straight, as irregularity meant localised weights, bad roof conditions, extra shot-firing, bad roadways, and bad coal-getting.
  After dealing with many other technical points and imparting much useful advice, Mr. Watson said that a new system of doing things in the mine was being rapidly evolved, and that a new era was springing up in the industry. With it there would be closer co-operation. Better times were in store, and, above all, there was a will to do on the part of everyone, so that this great basic industry could again take its place in the economic progress of industrialism.


The list of wreaths at the funeral of Mr. Wm. Barnes reported last week, should have included a tribute from Mrs. G. Bostock, senr.

At the United Methodist Church on Sunday evening a memorial sermon to the late Mr. Wm. Barnes was preached by Mr. C. Mann, a veteran Huthwaite preacher eighty years of age. The speaker pointed out, in a thoughtful address, that those who were bereaved of their loved ones, were never forsaken by God, who was usually nearer to the mourner than He was often thought to be. The choir gave a splendid rendering of the Anthem "What are these?" and the act had a peculiar significance by reason of the fact that the whole family were brought up as members of the United Methodist Church.

The funeral took place on Thursday, conducted by Mr. A. Wilson, of Mrs. H. Stopps, of 51, Club Yard, who died at the age of 61. The mourners were Mr. and Mrs. E. Foulkes (South Normanton), daughter; Mr. and Mrs. J. Hopkiss, sister; Mr. and Mrs. J. Stopps, brother; Mr. and Mrs. W. Rhodes, brother; Mrs. E. Haynes (Skegby), sister; Mrs. Elliott, Mr. and Mrs. J. Phillips, Mr. C. Booth and Miss Dora Booth, nephew and nieces; Mr. Geo. Revill and Mrs. E. Haywood, friends. The bearers were Messrs. B. Lee, A. Rhodes, J. Stopps, S. Stopps, C. Rhodes and H. Rhodes. There was a number of family wreaths, and a service at the Wesleyan Church preceded the interment in the Cemetery.

On Saturday evening the first of a series of social events on behalf of the United Methodist Free Church, to be carried out by the male members, was held, and was a conspicuous success. It took the novel form of a supper, which was cooked and served entirely by the men, and the hundred people who were present were unanimous in their praise of the perfect cooking. Nearly all the male members of the church assisted in one way or another, their duties having been carefully set out beforehand. Consequently, there was not the slightest hitch. The supper consisted of beef, potatoes and peas, cream buns, tea and coffee, and the cooks were Messrs. E. Purseglove, H. Purseglove, G. Saxton and P.J. Evans...


  At Alfreton Police Court on Wednesday Chas. H. Coupe, of the Orchards, Huthwaite, a Nottinghamshire magistrate, was proceeded against by the Blackwell Rural Council, for failing to abate a nuisance at No. 65, Haddon Street, Tibshelf, by neglecting to carry out necessary repairs thereto.
  Mr. H.R. Cleaver, for the Blackwell Council, said Mr. Coupe had disobeyed the Council's order, and the Alfreton magistrates on October 14th made an order for the work to be done in 28 days. He had not fully complied with the order of the Bench.
  Inspector Wilmot gave evidence.
  Mr. Coupe said he had complied with the order and done the work satisfactorily, although it may not have pleased the Inspector. In any case only small matters remained.
  The Bench found the defendant had not fully complied with this order, and they fined him 1s. per day for his default. As he was 80 days in default the total fine came to £4.
  Mr. Coupe said he would not submit to the order and he would appeal against the decision.
  The Magistrates' Clerk told him to give the proper notices within seven days.


  Although Huthwaite U.M.F.C. had a weakened side in the field for their home match with Stanton Hill Juniors on Saturday, the hosts proved more than a match for their guests and proved victorious by the odd goal of five. ...

Written 22 Feb 12 Revised 22 Feb 12 © by Gary Elliott