Hucknall Huthwaite formerly called Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, is a village, parish and township, united for ecclesiastical purposes to the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield. It is on the Derbyshire border, with a station 1 mile north-west, called Whiteboro', on the Teversal branch of the Midland railway : 2½ miles west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station, on the Ambergate, Mansfield and Southwell branch of the Midland railway, and 5 west from Mansfield, in the Mansfield division of the county, northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Mansfield, rural deanery of Mansfield, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The "Local Government Act, 1858," was adopted by the township July 9, 1873, and was controlled by a Local Board, but under the "Local Government Act, 1894," the parish is now (1895) governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members. Divine service is held in the school-room at 10.30 and 6.30 on Sundays, from Advent to Easter, at 7p.m. The Rev. George Royds B.A. of the University of Durham, has been curate in charge since 1898. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and United Methodist Free Church have places of worship here. A cemetery of 2 acres, and containing a mortuary chapel, was opened in 1889; it is controlled by the Urban Council. The Working Men's Institute and Reading Room was erected in 1893 by the colliery company, at a cost of over £1,000. The manufacture of cotton and woollen hose is the principle trade of the place, but a large colliery, opened in 1877, gives employment to upwards of 1,250 hands. The Duke of Portland P.O., G.C.V.O. who is lord of the manor, the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon and Robert Marsh Eckersley Wilkinson Dodsley esq. J.P. of Skegby Hall, are the principal land owners. The soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and good pasture land. The area is 1,199 acres ; assessable value, £12,462; the population in 1871 was 1,547, and in 1881 was 2,028; and in 1891 was 3,022.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, T.M.O Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Samuel Lowe, sub-postmaster. Letters through Mansfield arrive at 8 a.m. & 3 p.m.; dispatched at 10.25 a.m. & 6 p.m. Wall Letter Box cleared at 6.10 p.m.; not sundays.
Urban District Council - Meetings held at Council office, third wed. in month.
Members:- Chairman, Thomas Collinson Birkhead. Vice-Chairman, William Bostock.
Retire April 1900 George Adlington, Will. Bostock, Wm. Hancock, Simeon Watson, Thos. A. Evans.
Retire April 1901 Thos. Collinson Birkhead, Henry Marshall, William Burrows, Edward Turner, Chas. Henry Coupe.
Retire April 1902 Matthew Betts, Fred. Gelsthorpe, Saml. W. Betts, Matthew Taylor, Geo. Farnsworth.
Clerk, George Hudson Hibbert, 55 Westgate, Mansfield
Treasurer, Benjamin Howard, Union Bank, Mansfield
Medical Officer of Health, Robert Irvine L.R.C.P. & S. Edin., L.F.P. & S.Glas
Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Godfrey Bostock ; Collector, John Barnes Cooper.
Cemetery George Hudson Hibbert, clerk to the Burial Board; William Pickaver Hardy, keeper.
National Schools (girls and infants), erected in 1868, at a cost of about 800, principally defrayed by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, for 180 girls & 270 infants; average attendance, 165 girls & 268 infants; Miss Annie Grundy, girl's mistress; Miss Mary Key, infants' mistress. Another National school, opened in 1891, for 300 boys; average attendance, 230; Joseph Boardman, master.
Railway Station; - Whiteboro', Obadiah Haddock, station master.
Carriers to Mansfield. - William Allsop, William Burton, Samuel Lowe, Joseph Lowe, John Pickaver & John Shepherd, thurs.
Barnes Aaron, Betts Samuel Wilson, Birkhead Thomas Collinson J.P.,
Hick John William The Orchards, Robinson Thomas sen,
Boyds Rev. Geo.B.A.(curate in charge), Thomas Joseph, Watson Simeon Mill House