Hucknall Huthwaite formerly called Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, is a village and township, in the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield, on the Derbyshire border, with a station 1 mile north-west, called Woodend, on the Teversal branch of the Midland railway : it is 2½ miles west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station, on the Ambergate, Mansfield and Southwell branch of the Midland railway, and 5 west from Mansfield, in the Mansfield division of the county, northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Mansfield, rural deanery of Mansfield, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The "Local Government Act, 1858," was adopted by the township July 9, 1873; and the local board consists of 9 members. Divine service, conducted by the clergy of Sutton-in-Ashfield, is held in the school-room at 10.30 and 6.30 on Sundays, and on Wednesdays, from Advent to Easter, at 7p.m. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and New Methodist Connexion have places of worship here. A cemetery, consisting of 2 acres of land, opened in 1889, is controlled by the Local Board. The manufacture of cotton hose is the principle trade of the place, but a large colliery, opened in 1877, gives employment to upwards of 900 hands. The Duke of Portland, who is lord of the manor, the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon and Robert Marsh Echersley Wilkinson Dodsley esq. J.P. of Skegby Hall, are the principal land owners. The soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, hay, oats and barley, and good pasture land. The area is 1,184 acres ; rateable value, £7,883; the population in 1871 was 1,547, and in 1881 was 2,028.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office
S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Samuel Lowe, postmaster.
Letters through Mansfield arrive at 8am; dispatched at 5.30pm.
Local Board. Roomed at the National School.
Board day, second tuesday in every month.
Clerk, George Hudson Hibbert, 56 Westgate, Mansfield.
Treasurer, Benjamin Howard, Union Bank, Mansfield.
Medical Officer of Health - Fredrick William Style LRCP
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, Edward Parr, Market place. Collector, George Smith.
National Schools (girls and infants), erected in 1868, at a cost of about £800, principally defrayed by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, for 280 girls & 160 infants; average attendance, 130 girls & 80 infants; Joseph Boardman, master; Miss Mary Key, infant's mistress. Another National school now (1891) in course of erection.
Railway Station; - Woodend, Samuel Eaton, station master.
Carriers to Mansfield.
William Allsop, William Burton, Samuel Lowe, John Pickaver & John Shepherd, thurs.
Barnes Aaron, Boot John, Boot John Thomas F.R.G.S.I., Style Frederick William,
Tweedie Francis King M.B., Watson Simeon, Hill House