Hucknall Huthwaite formerly called Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, is a village and township, in the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield, on the Derbyshire border, with a station 1 mile north-west, called Woodend, on the Teversal branch of the Erewash railway : it is 2½ miles west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station, on the Mansfield branch of the Erewash railway, and 5 west from Mansfield, in the Mansfield division of the county, northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Mansfield, rural deanery of Mansfield, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The township is governed by a Local Board of nine members. Divine service, conducted by the clergy of Sutton-in-Ashfield, is held in the school-room at 10.30 and 6.30 on Sundays, and on Wednesdays, from Advent to Easter, at 7 p.m. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and New Methodist Connexion have places of worship here. The manufacture of cotton hose is the principal trade of the place, but a large colliery, opened in 1877, gives employment to upwards of 500 hands. The Duke of Portland, who is lord of the manor, the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon and Robert Marsh Echersley Wilkinson Dodsley esq. J.P. of Skegby Hall, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, hay, oats and barley, and good pasture land. The area is 1,184 acres ; rateable value, £5,479 ; the population in 1871 was 1,547 and in 1881 was 2,228. A cemetery, consisting of 2 acres of land, is shortly to be opened, and the control will be vested in the Local Board.
Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office - Samuel Lowe, postmaster.
Letters through Mansfield arrive at 8am; dispatched at 5.30pm.
Local Board. Board Room at the National School.
Board day, second tuesday in every month.
Clerk, George Hudson Hibbert, 56 Westgate, Mansfield.
Treasurer, Benjamin Howard, Union Bank, Mansfield.
Medical Officer - Peter Standen M.B., C.M. Brand house, Stanton hill.
Surveyor & Inspector of Nuisances, Edward Parr. Collector, George Smith.
National Schools - (mixed), erected in 1868, at a cost of about £800, principally defrayed by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, for 280 children & 160 infants ; average attendance, 240 children & 130 infants ; Joseph Boardman, master ; Miss Mary Key, infants' mistress.
Railway Station Woodend, Benjamin Pointer, station master.
Carriers to Mansfield.
- William Allsop, William Burton, Samuel Lowe, John Pickover & John Shepherd, thurs.
Barnes Aaron, Boot John, Boot Jn. Thos. F.R.G.S.I. The Orchards,
Rudge Theophilus Thomas, Shaw John, Watson Simeon at Hill house